Thursday, April 21, 2011

Faux Metal Heart Necklace

Pin It
My little sisters have some modeling clay.  I have seen people make many fun things out of clay, and I thought it would be fun to make a faux metal necklace.  I went with a heart because it's a simple shape :)

Here's what I did:

 This is what the clay looked like to begin with.  I rolled it out to about 1/4 inch thick.
I then used little scissors and my fingers to create a heart shape that I was happy with.
 I used a tooth pick to poke a hole in the heart.  I then baked the clay according the the instructions.  For this particular clay, it was baked at 275 degrees for 15-20 minutes.  I placed it on a pieced of paper while it was baking so it wouldn't be directly on the pan.  I read that this helps if from getting shiny on the bottom side.
I then painted my heart using acrylic paint.  I did a layer of black first and then used silver. 
 I threaded my hemp twine through the heart and I had a necklace.
 Pretty darn simple!

If you end up making some, I'd love to see the different shapes you come up with!

7 comments:

  1. Love it! I'm going to try to make some myself!

    http://girlfriendsarelikeshoes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Madelyn - this is so simple and cool! I love the look of the silver on top of the black, really makes it look like metal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the clay, I have the paints... I'm all set! Thanks so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the post. I wanted to share an idea with you. A couple of years ago I made hearts like these with pink sculpy and I pressed my kids thumbs onto the heart on an angle (i have 2 kids) so their prints formed the shape of a heart. the detail really shows up nicely. I put a small eyelet screw on the top and baked it. We made them for our gramas for mothers day. Just wanted to share this bc I got a lot of good ideAs from your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this idea. I'm going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for posting this great craft idea !
    I would love to make one too,but I have never used any clay before. What kind, brand did you use for this project ?what about for the paint ? Thank you

    ReplyDelete